Over $1 Billion Won for Our clients
Helping Injured Victims Since 1975
Providence Personal Injury Attorney
Let Us Help You Obtain Your Entitled Compensation
Life-changing injuries can happen in the blink of an eye, and often could have been prevented. The Providence personal injury attorneys of Decof, Barry, Mega & Quinn, P.C. fight to bring justice to the victims of personal injury caused by others. Our many past successes include the largest personal injury jury verdict and largest individual personal injury settlement in Rhode Island.
Throughout the life of our firm, our attorneys have handled countless state and local injury cases, acquiring invaluable experience and expertise while maintaining a stellar record of success. Most of our clients are in the Providence, RI and the central/southeastern Massachusetts areas.
Why Choose Our Firm?
- Free consultations
- 200+ years of combined experience
- Over $1 billion recovered
- A track record of success
Types of Personal Injury Cases We Handle
A personal injury lawsuit is a legal action filed by an individual (the plaintiff) who has suffered harm or injury due to the negligence or wrongful actions of another party (the defendant). The purpose of such a lawsuit is to seek compensation for the damages and losses incurred as a result of the injury. These cases can involve various types of accidents and injuries.
Here are some common types of personal injury cases:
- Aviation accidents - When injuries occur as a result of plane crashes or other aviation incidents, personal injury claims may be filed.
- Bicycle accidents - Accidents involving bicycles can result in injuries to cyclists, often due to collisions with motor vehicles or hazardous road conditions.
- Birth injuries - Birth injury lawsuits involve injuries to infants during the labor and delivery process, often due to medical negligence.
- Catastrophic injuries - These cases involve severe, life-altering injuries such as traumatic brain injuries, spinal cord injuries, and severe burns.
- Car accidents - These are among the most common personal injury cases and involve injuries resulting from automobile collisions.
- Childhood sexual abuse - Victims of childhood sexual abuse may pursue legal action against their abusers or institutions responsible for their safety.
- Construction accidents - These cases involve injuries sustained by construction workers due to workplace hazards, including falls, equipment malfunctions, or other construction-related accidents.
- Medical malpractice - When healthcare professionals, such as doctors, nurses, or hospitals, provide substandard care that leads to patient harm, medical malpractice lawsuits may be pursued.
- Motorcycle accidents - These cases involve injuries sustained by motorcyclists in accidents, often due to the negligence of other drivers or hazardous road conditions.
- Nursing home abuse - Cases of abuse or neglect in nursing homes or long-term care facilities, leading to harm to elderly residents, fall under this category.
- Pedestrian accidents - Accidents involving pedestrians, often due to collisions with vehicles, can lead to serious injuries and may result in personal injury claims.
- Premises liability - When injuries occur on another person's property due to hazardous conditions, such as slip and fall accidents, it may result in a premises liability case.
- Product liability - This type of case involves injuries caused by defective or dangerous products, including pharmaceuticals, appliances, and consumer goods.
- Truck accidents - Accidents involving large commercial trucks can result in significant injuries and property damage, leading to personal injury claims.
- Wrongful death - When an individual's death is caused by another party's negligence or intentional wrongdoing, surviving family members may file a wrongful death lawsuit to seek compensation for their loss.
- And more
Rhode Island Personal Injury Laws
To win a personal injury lawsuit in Rhode Island, you typically need to establish certain key elements, which are common to personal injury cases across many jurisdictions.
These elements are as follows:
- Duty of Care: You must demonstrate that the defendant owed you a duty of care. In most personal injury cases, this duty is established by showing that the defendant had a legal obligation to act in a reasonably safe manner, considering the circumstances. For example, a driver has a duty to operate their vehicle safely to avoid accidents.
- Breach of Duty: You need to prove that the defendant breached their duty of care. This means showing that the defendant's actions or inactions fell below the standard of care expected in the given situation. This might involve showing that they acted negligently, recklessly, or intentionally harmed you.
- Causation: You must establish a direct causal link between the defendant's breach of duty and your injuries. You need to show that the defendant's actions were a substantial factor in causing your injuries. This typically involves providing medical evidence and expert testimony.
- Damages: You need to demonstrate that you suffered actual damages as a result of the defendant's breach of duty. These damages can include medical expenses, lost wages, pain and suffering, emotional distress, and other losses related to the injury.
Rhode Island follows a comparative negligence system. This means that if you are partially at fault for your injury, your compensation may be reduced proportionally. For instance, if you are found to be 20% at fault for an accident, your compensation will be reduced by 20%.
Don’t Wait to Contact an Injury Lawyer!
There is a time limit on personal injury claims. Here in Rhode Island and neighboring Massachusetts, the statute of limitations is three years from the date of the accident. This means that after those three years expire, you will forfeit the right to pursue compensation for your injuries and other damages. The longer you wait to contact an attorney, the closer you get to this limit, and the more difficult it may be for your attorney to build a strong evidence-based case on your behalf. By getting an injury lawyer involved quickly, you may stand a better chance of maximizing the value of your claim and recovering as much compensation as possible.
Personalized & Tenacious Representation
Over the past four decades, we have achieved numerous successes on behalf of clients across our practice areas. We have recovered over $1 billion for the injured and wronged. While every case is different, and there are no guarantees of success or value, we are committed to securing the best possible result for every client we represent.
With our varied and extensive experience in these and many other types of personal injury cases, we are well-equipped to protect our clients’ interests.
Here are some of the advantages of working with our firm:
- Legal Expertise: Our experienced personal injury lawyers are well-versed in Rhode Island's laws and regulations related to personal injury cases. We have the knowledge and expertise to navigate the complex legal system, ensuring that your rights are protected and your case is handled correctly.
- Case Evaluation: We can evaluate the strengths and weaknesses of your case. This evaluation helps you understand the likelihood of success and the potential value of your claim. It enables you to make informed decisions about how to proceed.
- Gathering Evidence: Our team will assist in gathering and preserving crucial evidence that supports your claim. This may include medical records, witness statements, accident reports, and expert opinions to establish liability and demonstrate the extent of your damages.
- Negotiation Skills: We have strong negotiation skills and can work with insurance companies and opposing parties to secure a fair settlement. Our goal is to ensure that you receive the maximum compensation available for your injuries, medical bills, lost wages, and pain and suffering.
- Litigation Experience: If necessary, we are prepared to take your case to court. Our firm has a history of successful litigation and can effectively represent you in the courtroom.
- Reducing Stress: Dealing with a personal injury can be physically, emotionally, and financially taxing. Hiring us as your legal representation can alleviate some of that stress. We handle the legal complexities, allowing you to focus on your recovery.
- Fair Settlements: Insurance companies may attempt to offer you a lower settlement than you deserve. We can help you negotiate for a fair and just compensation, ensuring that your best interests are protected.
- Case Management: We manage all aspects of your case, from filing paperwork and meeting deadlines to handling communications with all parties involved. Our goal is to streamline the process and keep you informed at every step.
- Maximizing Compensation: We work diligently to maximize your compensation by identifying all potential sources of recovery and seeking damages for various types of losses.
Don't wait to get help—discuss your case with a personal injury lawyer in Providence today. Call (401) 200-4059 now to request your free consultation!
$2.1 Million Personal Injury
$2 Million Personal Injury
$1.9 Million Personal Injury