What Constitutes Medical Malpractice?
In Providence, RI, medical malpractice cases follow an established approach used in many other jurisdictions. Medical providers across the country are held to what is generally known as “the standard of care.” This is meant to reflect medical care that is the same as what any reasonably competent doctor, facing the same situation, would do under the circumstances. If a doctor does something that a reasonable doctor would not do, or fails to do something that a reasonable doctor would do, this may constitute malpractice. Even then, however, a patient must also prove that an injury is directly caused by that malpractice.
Decof, Barry, Mega & Quinn excels at determining whether or not a health care provider’s performance constitutes medical malpractice. If we find that they do, and if we find that it caused a serious injury, we fight to collect damages on your behalf.
You may be able to file a medical malpractice lawsuit if:
- You were given an incorrect diagnosis
- You suffered a surgical error
- Your child was injured during delivery
- You were given the correct diagnosis, but too late
- The doctors delayed your treatment despite your efforts
- Appropriate follow-up treatments, procedures, or medications were not administered in a timely manner
- You were given the wrong prescription, or an incorrect dosage, for your condition
- Lab results were miscalculated or misinterpreted
- The medical staff failed to take appropriate cautionary measures, such as maintaining infection control
- Or any number of other possible medical malpractice situations
Holding negligent doctors, hospitals and other health care providers accountable is important. It helps prevent future harm to others, and provides compensation for those injured by their failures. In Rhode Island, all medical malpractice settlements and verdicts in favor of a patient are reported to the Department of Health and federal officials, so that “repeat offenders” can be tracked and disciplined if necessary.
Medical law is a highly technical area, and when your health is at stake, you will want the experience and skill that Decof, Barry, Mega & Quinn has to offer you.