Cumberland Personal Injury Lawyers
Compassionate Advocacy for Injured Rhode Islanders in Cumberland
Have you been injured in an accident? If so, you are probably dealing with a wide range of emotions, from shock and fear to frustration, worry, and more. You may be uncertain how to move forward and manage your life during this time of uncertainty. We at Decof, Barry, Mega & Quinn, P.C. want you to know that you are not alone.
During this difficult time, our legal team can help you understand your rights and options. If another person or entity is responsible for causing your injuries, our team can help you recover compensation to cover all of your current and future expenses, losses, and other damages. We can help you navigate a complex legal process so you can focus on healing.
What is Considered a Personal Injury?
A personal injury refers to any physical, emotional, or psychological harm that an individual suffers due to the negligent, intentional, or reckless actions of another party.
Personal injury claims typically involve the injured party (plaintiff) seeking compensation from the responsible party (defendant) to cover the costs and losses resulting from the injury. These costs can include medical expenses, lost wages or income, pain and suffering, emotional distress, property damage, and rehabilitation or therapy costs.
To successfully pursue a personal injury claim, the plaintiff typically needs to establish the following elements:
- Duty of Care: The defendant had a legal duty to act reasonably and responsibly to prevent harm to others. For example, drivers have a duty to follow traffic laws and operate their vehicles safely.
- Breach of Duty: The defendant breached their duty of care by acting negligently, recklessly, or intentionally, leading to the plaintiff's injury.
- Causation: The plaintiff must show that the defendant's breach of duty directly caused or contributed to their injuries. In legal terms, the defendant's actions were the proximate cause of the harm.
- Damages: The plaintiff must have suffered actual damages, which can be economic (e.g., medical bills, lost wages) or non-economic (e.g., pain, emotional distress). Without measurable damages, there might not be a valid personal injury claim.
Types of Personal Injuries We Handle
Our team at Decof, Barry, Mega & Quinn, P.C. is prepared to handle a wide range of personal injury claims. No matter what type of accident caused your injuries, we can help.
Our firm handles the following types of cases:
- Car Accidents: These cases involve injuries sustained in collisions between motor vehicles, often caused by negligent driving, such as speeding, distracted driving, or driving under the influence.
- Truck Accidents: Similar to car accidents, these involve collisions with commercial trucks. Due to their size, these accidents often result in severe injuries or fatalities.
- Motorcycle Accidents: Accidents involving motorcycles often lead to serious injuries due to the lack of protective barriers. Cases may involve negligent driving, poor road conditions, or defective equipment.
- Bicycle Accidents: These occur when a cyclist is involved in a collision with a motor vehicle or other object. They can result from driver negligence, inadequate bike lanes, or other factors.
- Pedestrian Accidents: Accidents involving pedestrians are typically caused by drivers failing to yield or obey traffic rules. These cases can result in severe injuries due to the lack of protection for pedestrians.
- Airplane Accidents: Involving crashes or other incidents with airplanes, these cases often involve complex liability issues, including pilot error, mechanical failure, or negligence by airlines.
- Construction Accidents: Construction sites are hazardous environments, and accidents can result from factors like unsafe equipment, inadequate training, or failure to maintain a safe work environment.
- Premises Liability: Property owners can be held liable for injuries that occur on their premises due to hazards or negligence, such as slip and fall accidents, inadequate security, or dangerous conditions.
- Nursing Home Abuse: These cases involve physical, emotional, or financial abuse or neglect of elderly residents in nursing homes or care facilities.
- Product Liability: When a defective product causes injury, the manufacturer, distributor, or retailer could be held liable. Defects may include design flaws, manufacturing errors, or inadequate warnings.
- Childhood Sexual Abuse: These cases involve seeking compensation for the physical and emotional trauma resulting from childhood sexual abuse. Cases can be complex due to the sensitive nature of the issue.
- Wrongful Death: When someone dies due to the negligence or intentional actions of another party, their surviving family members may file a wrongful death lawsuit to seek compensation for their loss.
We are a team of compassionate, caring personal injury attorneys who work tirelessly to help people just like you. Our firm understands the challenges you are facing and will do everything possible to ensure you receive the compensation you deserve.